Start a Business
We'll Help You Get Started!
Whether you are thinking about starting a business or growing an existing company, we can help you get started. There are many business tools and educational opportunities in Hancock County to assist you. From exploring financial resources, business plan development and networking sessions we are eager to meet with you to discuss your business operation.
If you are committed to the work necessary to be successful, Hancock County Economic Development can help get you started.
- We will offer key resources you need to review.
- We will help you with a business plan.
- We will put you in contact with other experts in developing a small business.
- We will give you ideas for financing.
- We will make sure you address details regarding marketing, paying taxes, getting insurance, having legal support and more.
If you have a desire and a commitment to starting your own enterprise in Hancock County, get in touch with us:
OR visit us in our office in the Prairie Energy Building at 650 West 3rd Street in Garner.
We will be glad to help you! Here are other helpful resources if you want to do some research now.
Ten Steps to a Successful Start
IA Source Link is a website started by the Iowa Economic Development Authority. It is designed specifically to help you successfully start and continue to operate your business. If you have a business question, there is a good chance the answer is at IA Source Link. For more information, go to the website at IA Source Link. There you will find details about the ten steps to a successful start:
- Step 1: Write a Business Plan
- Step 2: Get Business Assistance and Training
- Step 3: Choose a Business Location
- Step 4: Finance Your Business
- Step 5: Determine the Legal Structure of Your Business
- Step 6: Register a Business Name
- Step 7: Get a Tax Identification Number
- Step 8: Register for State and Local Taxes
- Step 9: Obtain Business Licenses and Permits
- Step 10: Understand Employer Responsibilities
John Pappajohn Entrepreneurial Center, Mason City
Based at North Iowa Area Community College, the Pappajohn Entrepreneurial Center is one of the nation’s most recognized small business development programs. Business assistance, classroom education, and its acclaimed “Launch and Grow Your Business” program are all designed to assist you reach your dreams, built on a schedule that will work with yours. For more information, go to www.niacc.edu/pappajohn/newbusiness.html.
You may also call (641) 422-4111.
North Iowa Small Business Development Center, Mason City
Based at North Iowa Area Community College, the SBDC is a provider of comprehensive business start-up and ongoing business operations assistance. They will help you develop a sound Business Plan, which will help you to be successful, and will also be needed when you look for financial assistance. You can meet with the SBDC in Mason City or in Hancock County on select days. More information at: www.iowasbdc.org/services/regional-centers/mason-city.
You may also call (641) 422-4342.
If you need to build or remodel in Hancock County there are several contractors to work with:
208 E. State St., Mason City IA 50401(641) 423-5674
1400 S. 4th St., Forest City, IA 50436(641) 585-2231
Dean Snyder Construction
913 N 14th St., Clear Lake, IA 50428(641) 357-2283
508 W. Main St., Lake Mills IA 50450(641) 592-5800
320 Hwy 18 W, Garner IA 50438(641) 923-2601